Sunday, 4 September 2016

The GMC Motorhome Adventure Begins

It all started in a Nova Scotia campground in 1975. It was our first summer of RV ownership as a family. We had a 19' Prowler trailer and a 1970 Chevrolet Kingswood station wagon. A GMC Motorhome pulled up next to us with Georgia plates. We had never seen such a marvellous machine! There were Winnebagos in our town, but nothing thateven remotely close, except for 1 Airstream.
The child in the GMC was our age; he told us his Daddy owned a goober plantation. I have no recollection of colour of that machine. We had no idea what a goober was either.
A lifetime later my wife told me her sister had had a Barbie motorhome and really liked the real ones back in the day. When my neighbour, Spence, showed up with a real one my wife and I both gawked (one of us was leering) with delight and a touch of envy. A few years later I was talking to Spence and he encouraged me to look for one. The ones I could find were way out of our price range. UNTIL I looked on Craigslist and found one for $1000 o.b.o. I showed my wife; she said No! When my wife left for vacation I drove 3 hours to see it.
The widow's husband had started to remodel the cockpit and the fore cabin in 2000. He had passed away 12 years ago. She told me I could have it. I refused. She said $200. I took pictures and went home to talk to Spence. He said that if I didn't buy it, he would. I called her while walking home to tell her that I would be mailing her a cheque in a few hours.
I joined my wife on vacation and told her what I'd done. She was upset but warmed up to the idea and asked if we could do a beach theme. I agreed (I would have agreed to a goth theme).
When we returned home from vacation I assembled a rescue team. Spence and his brother, Bob, for their experience with rescuing relics from fields and driveways, my friend Cleon, who had the truck and trailer to tow it home, and our daughters because our spouses were working that weekend.
We set out at 8:30 on the Saturday of the Labour Day weekend. The adventure begins.

No comments:

Post a Comment